Mike Huckabee and the “Secular Theocracy”

Mike Huckabee is worried that the United States has become a “secular theocracy.” But what could that even mean? Consider the definitions of those words:

secular (adjective): denoting attitudes, activities, or other things that have no religious or spiritual basis

theocracy (noun): a system of government in which priests rule in the name of God or a god

“Secular theocracy” is self-contradictory, an oxymoron.

Mr. Huckabee claims his vision is “not to create a theocracy”. But at the same time, he considers the secular nature of our government to be a fundamental problem. He believes that for whoever is president, it is critical to “keep God in the center of their focal point.”

He goes on to say, “I can’t think of a worse place in the world to be, than in the oval office without God’s hand upon you. I’d rather not get near the place. But if that’s a purpose, then so be it; and that’s my prayer.”

Make no mistake, Mr. Huckabee is a member of a group of theocratically tilted legislators. (Remember his reaction the DOMA ruling?) He sees his own presidential bid as being on a mission, a calling from God. And if elected president, he would lead the United States further toward a theocracy, despite how he may mince his words.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.